Special Events and Film Permits

The City of Richmond recognizes the substantial benefits that result from community events and that a vibrant community life requires special events.  These events can provide cultural enrichment, promote economic vitality and enhance community identity.  Special Events may include festivals, concerts, carnivals, circuses, parades, film shoots, block parties, or announced public gatherings held on a public street, right-of-way, grounds or public property, where gathering members of the public are invited or admitted with or without the payment of admission charges in any form.

Additionally, events in which the public is invited on private or public property which may affect public safety, health or welfare by its impact on surrounding public or private property, or which may involve an improper use of the property under other City ordinances, may be deemed as special events. 

Therefore, to ensure a successful event, a special event application, a street closure form, and, if applicable, a Sound Permit Application  must be submitted to the Recreation Department's Office for approval.

In addition to the special event application, a film permit is necessary for any business or person engaging in the activity of filming, taking or producing motion pictures on movie film or electronic video tape for education, entertainment or other commercial purposes other than for news purposes.  Please refer to the Administrative Procedures and Guidelines for Motion Picture and Television Production for additional information.  For your convenience, you may use the Special Event Permit Checklist Form to guide you through the permitting process.

For additional information, please contact the Recreation Department at (510) 620-6793.