Sanitary Sewer Lateral Grant Program

Notice of a Sanitary Sewer Lateral Grant Program for the Richmond Municipal Sewer District

Public Funds Available

Residents can apply for a grant to assist with lateral repairs. The city will distribute a budgeted amount in grants each fiscal year to help repair or replace private mains or laterals. The grants are for reimbursement of up to 50 percent of the lowest contractor bid/estimate or maximum of $3,000 each.  The city will continue accepting applications through the year. Primary domicile residents and tax-exempt public service organizations owning property within the Richmond Municipal Sanitary Sewer District can apply. For questions, contact the Water Resource Recovery Department by email or at 510-620-6594.

Application & Guidelines

The Lateral Grant Application & Guidelines are also available at City Hall (450 Civic Center Plaza). The applications must be submitted to the City’s Water Resource Recovery in person. The applications will have a receipt number, and time/date stamp based on the order they are received.

Applications will be received throughout the year (The grant program operates on a fiscal year cycle).

Important Guidelines


Eligibility Requirements:

  • Own property served by the Richmond Sanitary Sewer District. 
  • Property owner(s) must occupy the property as their primary residence. 
  • Only the property owner(s) who paid for the work will be eligible for a grant; a person who acquired the property after the Certificate of Lateral Compliance was issued will not be eligible for a grant.
  • A mutual homes association acting on behalf of each of its members individually. 
  • A tax-exempt public service organization. 
  • Sewer Lateral work must be completed BEFORE applying for the Lateral Grant. 
  • Eligible property owners who received Certificates of Compliance prior to February 1, 2008 may submit grant applications provided they can submit all the proper paperwork (receipts, permits, inspection documents, etc.).

Submit Required Documents:

  • Signed Lateral Grant Application.
  • Recent Utility Bill (EBMUD or PG & E) – (Garbage will NOT be accepted).
  • Three (3) bids/estimates from contractors licensed with the State of California.
  • Proof of payment (canceled check, invoice stamped, “PAID”, etc.).
  • Certificate of Compliance (issued by the City once inspections are approved).
  • Tax-exempt organizations must submit proof of tax- exempt status.
  • Applications must be submitted in person at Engineering Counter – 450 Civic Center Plaza, 2nd Floor.